Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Working Mom

Being a working mom is hard.  I'd love to be able to stay home with my kids, but for us right now it's just not possible.  So I'm making the best of the situation.  Before I left on maternity leave I started doing some career pathing stuff with my director.  I've been looking at open positions in other departments but haven't seen much that I am either qualified for or that I'm interested in.  I love the people I work with in my department now so I'm not sure I want to leave what I'm doing.  I've just been doing the same job for 8 1/2 years and I want something different.  I want more responsibility. 

I love the flexibility I have here.  Being able to come in a little late or leave early if needed is awesome!  I also have the capability to work from home if one of the kids is sick.  Most other jobs in this field aren't as flexible so I don't think I could leave the company itself.  Plus I've earned my extra week of vacation here and the cost of benefits are awesome here (the benefits themselves are a little to be desired). 

Today I did my first solo enrollment meeting.  I was so nervous I was sick to my stomach!  It ended up only being 2 employees so it was very laid back and a good way to get my feet wet!  I've done a few training meetings with employers on our website before but never a benefits enrollment meeting.  I love that I'm being given an opportunity to do more.  Hopefully they come up with other things that I can help with that is outside the box and outside my comfort zone. 

If I'm going to be working I want to set a good example for Caitlyn and Cole.  I want them to be proud of what I do.  I want to feel like I make a difference and that my work is important.  I do feel that some days when I help resolve an issue for a member.  But other days I feel like I'm just clocking in and waiting to clock out and go cuddle the kids!  I suppose most parents feel this way. 

Hopefully soon I'll find a balance between work and home.  I'm feeling very unorganized now and like we have no structure or routine.  I felt like it took 2 years to get into a routine with just Caitlyn...hopefully it doesn't take as long with 2! 



No comments: